Saturday, September 03, 2011

Isn't it possible?


We've heard over the years that Wenger has money to spend, and then we've been told at the end of transfer windows that he didn't really have all that much to spend. We've watched Wenger buy prospect after prospect; we've watched him create some superstars; we've watched him struggle with those who couldn't fulfill their promise; we've watched his frustration on the sidelines. We've all been frustrated by six years with no trophies.

Isn't possible, though, that Wenger (who takes the brunt of our frustration) has done the best he can with what he's been given? I think it is.

Fifteen years ago, Wenger's policy was to buy a mix of established players, up and coming stars, and diamonds in the rough. Now all he does is the latter. Fifteen years ago he had David Dein wheeling and dealing, now he has Ivan the Terrible. I think Wenger has been hamstrung by the Arsenal board (and I think this is the price he had to pay for a new training facility and a new stadium), and I think he reached the end of his tether pre 2011-2012.

And, yes, I think Man Utd 8 - Arsenal 2 was an intentional capitulation. I think Wenger didn't bother preparing the team. I think he through on the chaff in an attempt to get humiliated. Don't believe me? Look at that picture I posted. That is not the Wenger we're used to seeing. He was resigned to the outcome from the first kick. He wasn't just expecting a loss, he wanted to lose, and he wanted to lose big. Only 8-2 could open the board's chequebook. And Wenger has had enough of being nickled and dimed and expected to take the brunt.

So he lost huge and brought in Park & Santos & Benayoun & Mertesacker & Arteta as a result. He made the changes he wanted. And I am betting it all that he wins a minimum of one trophy this season. I call FA Cup and Carling Cup.

I think Wenger crafted this. But then I could be delusional.

1 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Blogger CanadianGooner said...

I must say I'm impressed that Wenger finally addressed some of the problems that everyone could see. I just wish it would have happened before the season started. When you enter the season with only one experienced left back, only one competent center back and two gaping holes in midfield where our best players used to be it isn't a surprise when a team like Man. Utd kicks your ass. Now we get to wait while our new players adjust to life in the Premiership. I'll be surprised if we qualify for next years Champions League but I could see a cup run or two.

And yes, I know that I shouldn't be referring to Arsenal as "us" but that's the life of a fan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home